What are the differences between a dynamic VPN and a dedicated VPN?
An IP address is something that is assigned to a user’s device when they are on the Internet. An IP address gives the user’s computer an address so that internet traffic can be delivered. An IP address is assigned to a user by the Internet Service Provider (ISP), and the address can either be a dynamic IP address (dynamic VPN) or a static IP address (dedicated VPN).
A dynamic VPN involves the assignment of a different IP address to each individual every time they connect/disconnect to the VPN connection.
Advantages of Dynamic VPNs
- Reduced security risk as users are assigned a new IP address each time they log on.
- Reduce latency as dynamic VPNs do not use NAT.
- Speeds up downloads by allowing incoming requests to access each of the users devices on every port.
- Cost effective system.
Disadvantages of Dynamic VPNs
Despite all the advantages of dynamic VPNs, there are also disadvantages.
- Not suitable for use of VOIP or VPN, or for playing online games or hosting a gaming website
- Less reliable than a dedicated VPN because they can disconnect whilst the user is online
- Not-static which means that each time the user logs on and their IP address changes they will have to find their IP address again.
Dedicated VPNs provide users with a single, static unique IP address that is only for that user. Dedicated VPNs provide users with their own private and secure IP for when logging into secure sites online, this IP address does not change. Having a private, dedicated VPN is particularly useful when banking, accessing secure corporate sites, or when looking on IP restricted websites as they provide personalized security. It is also possible to have a dedicated VPN in the country of your choice so that each time you log in to that particular server you are assigned with a dedicated IP address automatically- saving you time and effort. If you need to know what your IP address is at all times then you should consider a dedicated VPN service.
Advantages of a dedicated VPN
- Dedicated VPNs ensure that you will not get blocked or blacklisted on any sites as a result of other peoples illegal or dodgy actions. This is because, with a dedicated VPN the user is in control of that particular IP address, and so what other people do will not affect that user.
- Dedicated VPNs are more reliable and so are better if the user wants to host a gaming website or play on gaming devices such as X-Box or Play Station.
- Dedicated VPNs can support a number of connections simultaneously, and are not slow as dedicated VPNs do not have to differentiate traffic coming in from different devices or clients and so the delivered performance is better than with dynamic VPNs.
Disadvantages of a dedicated VPN
Again, as with everything in life, there are always disadvantages.
- Dedicated VPNs are more expensive than dynamic VPNs because with dedicated VPNs there is only one user and so the cost is not shared.
- Dedicated VPNs are less anonymous than dynamic VPNs because it can be possible to link particular activity to one single user, or device. Whereas with dynamic VPNs users get increased anonymity because the IP address is shared, and therefore it is almost impossible to link activity to a user or device.
To conclude, there are advantages and disadvantages to both dynamic VPNs and dedicated VPNs, and ultimately it all depends on what you are after, and what activities you are looking to do online.